E-triloquist is distributed as-is without support or warranty. Install at your own risk. If
you have trouble installing or using E-triloquist, please check the
Trouble-Shooting Tips below for help on common E-triloquist problems,
especially with the installation process. If you fill out our Contact Form,
we will try to resolve your problem. Suggestions on program improvements and feedback in general also welcomed. Success
stories are especially welcomed!
E-triloquist Trouble-Shooting Tips:
- Can't connect, or other errors starting the download: Sometimes the server gets busy and can't handle all the requests. Try again in an hour or two....
- .Net Framework 3.5 is required Please follow the instructions here to download and install the Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.
You can have both the 3.5 and 4.0 versions of the .Net Framework on your computer at the same time with no problems, but E-triloquist currently only works with the .Net Framework 3.5.
- not a valid Win32 application: This error indicates that the download did not finish 100% (the
download was interrupted or did not complete for some reason). The downloaded
file should be 1.99mb for Vista and Windows 7 or 11.8Mb for Windows XP with the Mike and Mary voices. Delete the partially
downloaded file and then try the download again. Please Contact Us if you
continue to have problems with the download.
E-triloquist is installed, but won't start
- Configuration system failed to initialize: This error generally means that the configuration file which saves your Options settings has become corrupted. You can follow the instructions below
to remove the file and reset the options to the defaults. The following instructions are for XP, but should be similar on Vista and Windows 7 (it seems to mostly happen on XP):
- Go to "My Computer" and click on the Search icon
- Click "All files and folders"
- In the file name box, type: user.config
- For the "Look In:" drop-down, select "Local Hard Drives (C:)"
- Click "More advanced options" and make sure the following are all checked:
- Search system folders
- Search hidden files and folders
- Search subfolders
- Click Search. Wait for it to complete.
- If there is more than 1 file found, find the one in the "In Folder" that has E-triloquist in the folder name.
- Right-click the file and select "Open Containing Folder"
- Rename the file to user.config.bad or something similar.
- Start E-triloquist again.
- Go to Tools, Options... and re-enter any special settings you had, such as a specific voice or speed. It will not impact any saved Categories or Phrases that you may have.
E-triloquist Runs, but not perfectly
First make sure you are on the latest version. In E-triloquist, go to "Help" and then "Check for Program Updates...". This will
connect you to the E-triloquist web site and instruct you on how to upgrade if you are not on the most recent version.
Solving problems with the current version:
- SAPI 5.1 is not there, and there is no speech: This usually happens if you install version 5.7 of E-triloquist "with voices" on a Vista or Windows-7 computer.
In E-triloquist try going to View, Options..., click on the "Voices" tab and select the "Anna" voice. Then try speaking.
If the Microsoft Mike and Mary voices are listed, then you'll want to go to Control Panel Add/Remove programs and uninstall them. Those voices do not work on Vista or Windows-7.
- Automation Error when selecting a Voice: Some programs now include pop-up characters which provide help and talk to you. Unfortunately, their voices are only partially compatible with E-triloquist.
If you have one or more of these voices installed, E-triloquist may try to use that voice and will fail. In the Voices list (under "Options" in E-triloquist), these voices may be listed as "TruVoice". Avoid selecting
one of these voices. If the error happens when you start E-triloquist, go to the "Options" menu, then the "Voices" tab. List the voices, select a different voice, and click "OK". You may need to close and re-start E-triloquist to get it to work.
- E-triloquist speaks once, then won't speak again: Same problem with the TruVoice voices.
- First try to select a different voice (preferably by a different manufacturer) and see if that solves the problem.
- If that does not work, Go to the View menu and select "Options...", then check the "Allow speech to be buffered" option.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get a different voice (i.e. a Male voice or different accent): Unfortunately the only free voice for Vista or Windows 7 that I know of is the American-accented female Anna voice which is pre-installed by Microsoft. If you prefer a male voice or different accent then you might want to check out
a commercially available voice such as the desktop voices at Cepstral's Download page. They are only about $30 and should work OK with E-triloquist on Windows 7. I encourage you to download a trial of the voice before you buy, since I have personally not used them.
- You can find links to sellers of other compatible voices on the About tab. Be sure to verify the voice you are purchasing will work on your system (best to download a trial before you buy).
- Once the voice is installed on the computer, to access it in E-triloquist go to the View, Options... menu and then select the Voice tab. From there you can preview and select from the list of voices available on the computer, as well as adjust the rate (speed) at which the voice talks.
If all else fails, or you're just unsure, Contact Us with the specifics of your difficulty and we will do what we can to help.